What's the deal with Flo?

Honestly haven’t been following this, but seems like it’s some made up scandal yet again.

https://twitter.com/jamesrambin/status/1700947771602133046?s=20

What was the last made up scandal?

Im voting for the asphalt resurfacing scandal. Absolute junk.

Should have kept it in budget (obviously not possible) and saved it up to do it right. The repaving of this hood took it from easy flow to a country road.

I talked to the road crew last year- they said this was the silliest (but cheapest) way to refinish a road.

Garbage.

Dr. Nicholas Vaughan

2 Likes

to be fair, it was the “conspiracy theorists” who stopped the city and the “friends” of barton springs pool from cutting down a dozen trees around the pool the last time they said all the trees were sick or problematic.

maybe it’s just people advocating for a different option the way some “conspiracy theorists” claim the sky will fail without intense housing density?

i second that!

there are piles of loose gravel all over the place even after the steer sweeping passed by. not optimal for anyone biking, strolling, skateboarding, etc.

1 Like

So, to clarify: you believe the government is engaged in a massive conspiracy to manipulate public opinion in a fashion that prevents an ailing living thing from getting the help it desperately needs, and – I assume, but please feel free to correct me – you legitimately think PARD or any other government-operated party can’t be trusted because their “cures” are untrustworthy, having seemingly been “proven wrong” in the past?

Do we need to add Dr. Fauci to FoZ?

This deserves a topic of its own. The repaving of the Zilker neighborhood fixed some potholes, but the surface is extremely coarse, full of gravel (still!), and I am still finding tar stuck on my car and bicycle tires. Country roads are better than this! True story, I was out in Balmorhea recently and amazed how much better their roads were.

Ditto. The roads have been pretty brutal for like 8 months at this point. They’re slowly getting better as things get packed down, but it doesn’t seem like the proper ‘fix’ for an old road.

I agree!! It is so unpleasant to bike on and often times dangerous. I posted about it at the time.. Maybe a good thing to bring up with Ryan Alter this Friday at his Coffee and Taco meetup.

Refreshing to have alliance on a topic!

The story I was told last summer was the city had money they HAD to use or it gets pulled so they decided to resurface Zilker although we clearly did not need it- except for some pothole fixes here and there.

For those around- we had nice smooth streets that were stellar for skateboards, bikes, scooters- mostly kid stuff- but still… it was nice for cars too except maybe when we got the occasional rain (God willing) it made it a little slick.

At the time, Alter was not elected yet- and I asked him what was up and why (as a city) we are not able to just put money aside and save it up to do the work the RIGHT WAY when it is actually needed- the answer was… (its complicated)- which is the thinking we have to try to get around.

Had we put that money aside- and maybe given it to a bucket that truly needed extra… then that bucket could give back to zilker roads when it is appropriate to fix them. Instead, they wanted to spend the cash and this is the cheapest way to resurface- dump tar, dump gravel and let your car/truck be the steam roller… it takes literally 2+ years for cars to pack it down enough and even then… with the new substrate, it will never be roller blade smooth again so you can put away your cut-off jorts and tank tops now… Elbow and knee pads are now back in with kevlar vests.

Here are other issues with the new road layer! Tar everywhere… an entire year 2022 of tracking in tar and gravel… extremely HOT and contributing to moisture rising (theorized to help push rain up and over Austin- rain dome effect) and piles of gravel all over the place after a rain… not to mention it gets dumped right into our streams/rivers as run off! YAY! Tar in the River! Cool!

Checks, balances, mayors, CC members, PACs, special interest groups, people with too much time, etc.- not even sure how to start accountability tracking as the machine is purposefully built to keep on trucking without any foresight or past assessment… this seems to be the nature of an ever growing city on growth hormone- people start at a position but find other opportunities so continuity is also a problem.

All that to say- im glad JP brings up the invitation to the CAT meet up… at least our current CC member (whether you voted for him/they/her or not) is hosting a meeting to talk and give your opinion. Ole Kitchen rarely made herself available and if she did, it was through some technology that did not make it out to the masses to matter. Progress is being made- lets embrace and continue to offer meaningful solutions on items that we can possibly control. Baby steps indeed.

Thanks for chiming in- these roads are almost humorous at this point.

Dr. Nicholas Vaughan

2 Likes

Google “chip and seal vs asphalt” for a wealth of “information.”

Dave Piper

| razortiger
September 12 |

• | - |

Refreshing to have alliance on a topic!

The story I was told last summer was the city had money they HAD to use or it gets pulled so they decided to resurface Zilker although we clearly did not need it- except for some pothole fixes here and there.

For those around- we had nice smooth streets that were stellar for skateboards, bikes, scooters- mostly kid stuff- but still… it was nice for cars too except maybe when we got the occasional rain (God willing) it made it a little slick.

At the time, Alter was not elected yet- and I asked him what was up and why (as a city) we are not able to just put money aside and save it up to do the work the RIGHT WAY when it is actually needed- the answer was… (its complicated)- which is the thinking we have to try to get around.

Had we put that money aside- and maybe given it to a bucket that truly needed extra… then that bucket could give back to zilker roads when it is appropriate to fix them. Instead, they wanted to spend the cash and this is the cheapest way to resurface- dump tar, dump gravel and let your car/truck be the steam roller… it takes literally 2+ years for cars to pack it down enough and even then… with the new substrate, it will never be roller blade smooth again so you can put away your cut-off jorts and tank tops now… Elbow and knee pads are now back in with kevlar vests.

Here are other issues with the new road layer! Tar everywhere… an entire year 2022 of tracking in tar and gravel… extremely HOT and contributing to moisture rising (theorized to help push rain up and over Austin- rain dome effect) and piles of gravel all over the place after a rain… not to mention it gets dumped right into our streams/rivers as run off! YAY! Tar in the River! Cool!

Checks, balances, mayors, CC members, PACs, special interest groups, people with too much time, etc.- not even sure how to start accountability tracking as the machine is purposefully built to keep on trucking without any foresight or past assessment… this seems to be the nature of an ever growing city on growth hormone- people start at a position but find other opportunities so continuity is also a problem.

All that to say- im glad JP brings up the invitation to the CAT meet up… at least our current CC member (whether you voted for him/they/her or not) is hosting a meeting to talk and give your opinion. Ole Kitchen rarely made herself available and if she did, it was through some technology that did not make it out to the masses to matter. Progress is being made- lets embrace and continue to offer meaningful solutions on items that we can possibly control. Baby steps indeed.

Thanks for chiming in- these roads are almost humorous at this point.

Dr. Nicholas Vaughan

Does that make it less annoying some how?

If you can type it- just google it for us… copy/paste- voila!

Dr. Nicholas Vaughan

Sorry, there are numerous links that appear with that search.