Ooops... I did it again

It wasn’t so much an assertion as a desire.

Felicity, with all due respect, FYI,

This is a lie. The trail does not need to comply with the code that was written after it was established in order to be maintained. It can be maintained as long as it doesn’t make it more out of compliance. It needs to have the code changed to make changes to the trail in the form of capital improvements, aka development.

Key takeaways - Something bad may happen, we arent sure, but fuck em, we don’t like em! And now you know everything you need to know! Facts dont matter, feelings do, and we are here to tell you how to feel because [insert nimby cartchphrase here - massive developer giveaway this time]!

The TTC is willing to answer questions and are bound by the published rules put forth by the city. Can the free zilker coalition articulate anything beyond speculation and feelings of distrust with no tangible evidence?

Can you rephrase that as

1. A coherent sentence, or multiple sentences
  2. Backed up by relevant city and state law/ordinance as you appear to be such an expert on the topic.

@Ang I’m not sure who you are or what you’ve done to benefit the trail ecosystem in Austin. But I do know The Trail Conservancy has done a ton. So I think I’ll trust them. The point of the post is nobody - despite the misinformation - is advocating paving the Hike and Bike trail. There may be improvements that go beyond maintenance which would make the trail more accessible, resilient, and
make for a greener ecosystem.

You all are either pro-development or–I was going to say naive but just the former, I think. Again, read Parks for Profit.

I am pro accessibility, resilience, and a green sustainable ecosystem. I am pro smart infrastructure and preserving the amazing (natural gravel!) trail and park system we have. And I am pro and entrust Austin Parks Foundation and the Trail Conservancy.

1 Like

I’m anti-disinformation and Free Zilker, Save Austin Now, SOS and the entire lot are full of it.

Ha! Far from expert, obviously. I’m just doing my best given the circumstances. I’m resentful that this is being pushed on us with no public engagement, no warning, and you should be too. Why else do you think I’m rushing my words? Look around you, man. You can’t be so credulous. Have you not heard of good old corruption?

The trail does not need to comply with the code that was written after it [the trail] was established in order to be maintained. It can be maintained as long as it [maintaining it] doesn’t make it [the trail] more out of compliance. It (The Trail Conservancy] needs to have the code changed to make changes to the trail in the form of capital improvements, aka development.

They don’t need to amend the code in order to maintain the trail, which they aren’t even doing! Do you even go on the Butler trail? Look at it.

The Trail Conservancy began as an altruistic nonprofit but they aren’t now. There is plenty of evidence but you don’t want to see it.

Do you think it’s acceptable that a nonprofit in “parknership” with the city through a POMA (Parks Operated and Maintenance Agreement) is not required to disclose its financials to the public as the city is (supposed to)? Genuine question.
POMA here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uU8UvvRdFGV9yHpz1e7UXm9Ka4toOAxr/view?usp=sharing

We’re bringing him to Austin via Zoom if you are interested

I’m am all of those sans the last. Those are a contradiction in terms, sir. The problem is, you seem unable to learn because you’ve already made up your mind. Or you are not being truthful. Do you wonder why APF is sitting on millions of dollars accruing interest instead of spending it on parks?

Facts do matter. I wish The Trail Conservancy was more forthcoming with them. Come on, man, be a bit of a detective, use your imagination. I don’t understand this predilection for naivete.

And I don’t speak for Free Zilker. I’m just an individual who can reason and put things together. We have a blueprint; it’s already been done. Look at Moody Amphitheater. That used to be a classic, beautiful park filled with great grass and shade trees that anyone could go enjoy called Waterloo Park. Don’t you remember? They bulldozed it.
Do you like that concrete? That $15 beer? You will say you do, I’m sure.

You are on the disinformation side then. What happened to you?

Yet so quickly to draw conclusions and call everyone else naive!

Is there a version of “your best” that involves educating yourself in the actual code and validating the claims that are made to you, or is “your best” blindly parroting things you don’t understand and calling anybody who disagrees naive?

Show me!

I have. I have also heard of people drinking ivermectin for covid. I have heard of people who think the earth is flat. I have heard of good old manipulation of the masses with a good sob story in order to raise funds for an unaccountable non-profit.

You seem to be eager to tell everyone else to open their eyes, because you see it, and can’t understand how nobody else does. Well, I don’t see corruption, I see the 10th largest city maintaining a variety of green spaces through a combination of city departments, conservancies, non-profits, and sponsorships; all regulated by city code which requires updates periodically. exactly the same as occurs in every major city in the country. I see a usable trail that is maintained by TTF. I see Zilker park remaining accessible and hosting events that bring joy to probably close to a million people a year. I see barton springs pool efficiently handling worldwide traffic of people who come here just for a dip in cold water. I also see various non-profits and groups of concerned citizens making a bunch of unsubstantiated claims, saying they don’t trust anything, and saying they don’t like anything and not a single actual thing I can point to and say “This organization created this for the us”

I would like to know, who does SOS trust? Who does CNC trust? Who does the ANC trust? What solutions do they offer besides obstructionism fear mongering and spreading anger. Can you name a single action (i.e. something actually occurred; and imagined threats that never occured don’t count) that resulted in the city being better from any of these groups in the last 20 years, cause I haven’t seen it. I have seen lawsuits that waste taxpayer dollars. Obstruction of needed construction which is driving long lived residents out, because as much as CNC will claim otherwise, supply and demand is real. So forgive me if not seeing it your way doesn’t feel naive to me; but you have yet to present a single verifiable and specific example to back up your claims. You have brought “I dont know, but these people are bad! Im telling you man! I feel it! Wake up sheeple! Do your research!” and if I am having a hard time taking you seriously, can you blame me?

I actually know the answer!

Many of the millions of dollars are being held by APD on behalf of other organizations who have not yet chosen to spend the money. I happen to be involved in one such organization who has 20k dollars being held by APF. We know the money is there, and we even have a project in mind for it at one of the nearby parks. The problem is that the project is much more expensive than 20k and will require years of planning, and we have simply not had the capacity (financial or time) to plan and carry out the project, so APF just holds the money. And one day, when we are ready, we will ask them to write a check on our behalf, they will confirm that the money will actually be used on a park in an appropriate way, and only after that verification will the check be written! All of this in an effort to prevent fraud and misuse of funds. Additionally, by handling they money, it allows for additional funds to be raise privately for parks projects and for donations to be tax free without my organization having to maintain a 501(c)3 and they do all the book-keeping for us! It’s actually quite helpful.

Please explain to me why this is an example of behavior that justifies mistrust?

Sponsored Fund Accounts Program - Austin Parks Foundation.

Well this is all what I meant about the toxic wasteland that Austin local politics has become. To me you’re no better, @Ang, than the qAnon conspiracy theorists spreading whatever their wildest imaginations can envision is happening behind the mythical curtain.