Please check out Artista Rosso

Hi neighbors,

I have been going into Artista Rosso in Lamar Union to eat and it is incredible. I was skeptical the first time we went in for dinner but the food is very good. The pasta is all house made, and I would put it up against Vespaio/Enoteca.

I went there today and had their breakfast burrito special and it was awesome also.

I really want this local place to make it - they are also very nice and service is great.

-John

Seconded!!! And I love you can get a bottle of wine off the shelf - at basically retail vs. restaurant pricing - to enjoy with your meal!

Second! I love that place :slight_smile: Their bolognese is really where the magic is. Their other pastas are good and fresh, but the flavor on the bolognese beats any I’ve had in Austin.

Agree on the super friendly staff as well. I regularly go and work there and it’s a really nice, relaxing atmosphere. You can buy anything in the store and they’ll open it for you w/ no corkage fee. Great set of taps.

They also have nutella crepes!

john1 wrote:

Finally got off my butt and walked up there for lunch today. Enjoyed it and will continue to explore its menu. Dinner looks very good!

Store had a good selection and very reasonable prices. Very nice and attentive staff.

Yeah, compared to the old store that was there, the wine prices are insanely reasonable.

kbice wrote:

It’s good, but I wish they’d lose the TVs. I went up to Batch this weekend, and was blown away by their simple business model. Kolaches, beer, coffee… and lots of live music. NO TVs! I wish we could get something like that in S. Austin… I guess ABGB is the closest thing I can think of…

Don’t get me started on the TVs. They are a blight on the bars in Austin. Even if you’re going to have a TV, they don’t have to be on! I was at Artista and the bar tender was complaining about how nothing was on. I mentioned they could just turn them off - she just laughed at me. I don’t understand the compulsion to always have TVs on in bars / restaurants in Austin!

1 Like

Delicious had no TVs at first, and my dad and I used to go sit at the bar and chat with people and the bartenders… after they got desperate to pull people in, they installed the TVs… same number of people, but brought in a different crowd, interested in watching the game… lost the communal vibe completely… we never went back.

JpMaxMan
President

September 19

Don’t get me started on the TVs. They are a blight on the bars in Austin. Even if you’re going to have a TV, they don’t have to be on! I was at Artista and the bar tender was complaining about how nothing was on. I mentioned they could just turn them off - she just laughed at me. I don’t understand the compulsion to always have TVs on in bars / restaurants in Austin!

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

The TVs were easier to ignore than the zombies sitting around on their computers taking up seating and not buying anything.

The place was mostly empty before and after the TVs so I don’t think it had much impact on sales.

To be fair, I spend a lot of money there.

I agree. I find myself staring at the screen and not even knowing or caring what I’m looking at. It’s distracting, and pointless without the volume which would be even worse.

In general that’s my fear with this place is they are doing some things really well but not sure they have the atmosphere and vibe dialed in, or the ability to pull people in. It could be a really great neighborhood hangout. I was there at 10:30 and they were opening bags of flour making pastries, pasta, all kinds of goodness from scratch.

They should convert the back area to a microbrewery instead of a market…